WHY THIS RECIPE WILL MAKE YOUR MORNINGS BRIGHTER?
This Easy French Toast Casserole is perfect for busy mornings when you don’t have a lot of time to make breakfast.
The recipe can be made ahead of time and refrigerated overnight, which makes it perfect for serving to guests or for lazy weekend mornings.
The casserole is made with fluffy bread and crunchy pecans, which adds a delightful texture to the dish.
The egg mixture is flavored with real maple syrup, vanilla extract, and fragrant spices, which makes the casserole sweet and aromatic.
The topping is made with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, which creates a sweet and crunchy layer on top of the casserole.
20 ounces sandwich bread, cut into small 1-inch cubes (567 g)
1 cup chopped pecans (113 g)
8 large eggs
2 cups whole milk (473 mL)
1/4 cup real maple syrup (60 mL)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (15 mL)
1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (3 g)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (0.5 g)
4 tablespoons salted butter, sliced (57 g)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (110 g)
Start by greasing a 9″x13″ baking dish.
Cut the sandwich bread into small 1-inch cubes and layer it with the chopped pecans in the baking dish.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, whole milk, real maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread and pecans in the baking dish, making sure all the bread cubes are coated evenly.
Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 to 6 hours, or overnight to allow the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
When you’re ready to bake the casserole, remove it from the fridge and preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a small mixing bowl, use a pastry blender to combine the sliced butter, light brown sugar, and cinnamon until it forms a crumbly mixture.
Sprinkle the crumbly mixture over the entire casserole.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until the casserole is golden brown and cooked through.
Once it’s done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
Cut into slices and serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!
- This Easy French Toast Casserole can be prepped ahead of time and kept in the fridge overnight, making it perfect for a stress-free breakfast or brunch.
- You can use any type of sandwich bread for this recipe, but I recommend using a bread that’s not too soft or it may become too mushy in the casserole.
- If you don’t have pecans on hand, you can substitute them with another type of nut or simply leave them out altogether.
- To make this recipe even more decadent, you can add some chocolate chips or raisins to the bread and egg mixture.
- When serving, don’t be afraid to get creative with toppings! Aside from the classic powdered sugar and maple syrup, you can try whipped cream, fresh fruit, or even a drizzle of caramel sauce.
In conclusion, this Easy French Toast Casserole is a crowd-pleasing dish that’s perfect for a special occasion breakfast or brunch. With its custardy texture, warm cinnamon and nutmeg spices, and crunchy pecan topping, it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Plus, the fact that you can make it ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge overnight makes it a stress-free option for busy mornings. So give this recipe a try and enjoy a delicious and comforting breakfast that’s sure to please!